Posts Tagged ‘proc’

Substitute for the Gnome bluetooth / Or how to properly manage your bluetooth (obex) connections in Gnome

Saturday, June 5th, 2010

Reading Time: 2minutes
I connect my Nokia 9300i mobile phone over bluetooth every now and then. In that connection, everyoften I do experience problems with properly connecting the device to my notebook running Debian Squeeze/Sid Unstable on it’s Desktop.
Until recently it really annoyed me that I had to loose time restring the Linux system sometimes when an access to the mobiledevice was failing, without any good trackable error message.
The connection error I have experienced quite often when I was trying to browse my Nokia 9300i cellphone using the bluetooth protocolon Linux was:
“the name org.openobex.client was not provided”
You can read about a similar error to the one encountered by me when using bluetooth on my Debian Linux in debian bugs mailing list on osdir
The way I solved the issues with connecting over bluetooth on Linux until recently was by rebooting the whole Linux system (dumb)!.
Some other things I try to get arround the bluetooth connection errors was by trying to re-enable my bluetooth notebook embedded device on my Lenovo Thinkpad with command:

root@noah:~# echo disable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
root@noah:~# echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth

I alsy tried to physically remove the bluetooth module, rfcomm and a few other modules which were preventing the removal with rmmod of the bluetooth module.
However this solution did’t help either .. To solve the issues I tried few other stuff one of which was installing libobexftp0 and obexftp since my Nokia 9300i uses the obex protocol to communicate with the computer through bluetooth

I have to note that so far I have used the embedded general gnome application Gnome Bluetooth by using the bluetooth-applet .

Well all my worries came to end finally by simply using another piece of bluetooth communication software callde blueman
Since I have installed that handy software bluetooth is working perfectly fine everytime with my mobile. I warmly recommend to everybody out there to switch to the blueman which is a substitute for the old crappy gnome-bluetooth pack
check out the up-mentioned provided website.
It’s probably also worthy to say that the blueman app is written in python.
Well I’m pretty happy now whilst using blueman, hopefully you’ll enjoy it too as well as solve your bluetooth issues ! 🙂

Way to get around mdadm: /dev/md2 assembled from 1 drive – not enough to start the array.

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011

Reading Time: < 1minute
One server with a broken Raid array was having troubles with it’s software raid.
I tried to scan the raid array via a rescue cd like so:
server:~# mdadm --assemble --scan /dev/md1

just to be suprised by the message:
mdadm: /dev/md1 assembled from 2 drives – not enough to start the array.

In /proc/mdstat respectively the raid was showing inactive, e.g.:

server:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid10] [raid1]
md1 : inactive sda2[0] sdc2[2] sdb2[1]
12024384 blocks

Respectively trying to activate the software Linux raid array with:
server:~# mdadm -A -s

Couldn’t be completed because of the same annoying error:
/dev/md1 assembled from 2 drives – not enough to start the array.

Thanksfully finally thanks to some Russian, who posted having same issues reported to be able to active his software RAID with mdadm’s –force option.

Thus enabling the problematic RAID 5 array was possible with:
server:~# mdadm -A -s --force

This solution of course is temporary and will have to further check what’s wrong with the array, however at least now I can chroot to the server’s / directory. 😉

How to mount /proc and /dev and in chroot on Linux

Wednesday, April 20th, 2011

Reading Time: < 1minute
I’m using a backtrack Linux to recover a broken Ubuntu Linux, to fix this disastrous situation I’m using the Ubuntu Linux through chroot after mounting my /dev/sda1, where my Linux resides with:

linux-recovery:~# mkdir /mnt/test1
linux-recovery:~# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/test1
linux-recovery:~# chroot /mnt/test1
ubuntu:~#

I consequently needed to mount up the /proc and /dev partition inside the chroot environment.

Here is how I did it:

ubuntu:~# mount /proc
ubuntu:~# mount -a

Next I switched on on a different virtual console in the backtrack and to mount /dev issued the commands:

linux-recovery:~# mount --bind /dev /mnt/test1/dev

Now once again, I can use theapt-get inside the chroot to fix up the whole mess …